Based on a fascination with the culture and a vague notion of Japan as a ski destination I opted to learn Japanese while in college. Little did I know that a combination of my desire to ski and my studies would entice me to travel to the land of the rising sun.
I was lucky enough and got the opportunity to travel to Japan this winter to ski – an experience that’s hard to put into words. Deep pow, saki bombs and endless mountain exploring are some of the first things that come to mind. Regardless, I wanted to share with you ten things I learned while skiing in Hakuba Japan.
1. Driving on the left side of the road results in excessive windshield wiper use.
2. 7-11 and other combini stores are the greatest thing ever.
3. Drinking coffee in a can out of a vending machine can be both warm and delicious.
4. Onsens are amazing and may lead to nearly falling asleep while walking back to your room.
5. I could spend all day figuring out how to work a japanese photo booth.
6. America needs to upgrade their toilettes Heated toliet seats are amazing may be the best winter idea ever, and not to mention on every toilette there are so many cool buttons.
7. When you find yourself using both Japanese and English in a sentence it is “Japenglish”
8. No adventure is complete without an amazing travel buddy/buddies to share the memories with
9. On the rare day it doesn’t snow in Japan, go explore. Explore the outdoors, explore the park and explore new zones to shred for the next storm. (most likely in a day or two)
10. Respect and appreciate the world, people, and nature around you. Because where kindness is offered it is also reciprocated.
My Japan ski trip was like walking in a dream. I am so thankful for the experience and can’t wait to get back! Japanuary 2016 coming up. Who’s with me!?
Interview with Northwest Tech Founder, Nick Marvik
September 25, 2016
It's Snowing In The Mountains!
September 23, 2016
Made In Seattle, WA
Northwest Tech Outerwear was born from the desire to customize. We recognize that skiers and snowboarders love individuality. No one wants to see their new gear sitting next to them on the chairlift every season. With NWT3K, your outerwear will never be considered "last season". Every design is timeless and customized entirely by you.
We are skiers and snowboarders who live for pow days, big mountains and park laps with friends.